Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Hardest Cake I've Ever Had To Make


Most of the time as a cake decorator, you are making a cake to celebrate wonderful moments in people's lives. From weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, or just for fun, cake has a way of drawing people in and enjoying what they are celebrating. Well, this cake was a bitter sweet celebration for me. I have never had to make such a difficult cake in my life. The cake itself was a simple one... a few daisies, some sugar clouds and balloons... but the reason for the cake was one that changed me as a person.
My sister in law had gone into her 6 month checkup and found out the little child growing inside of her had no heartbeat. It was tragic for our family as well as a great growing experience for all of us.
As I tried to figure out something I could do for them, nothing seemed enough until my brother told me they would be having a small graveside service and then a celebration of the love we all had gained for this little guy who left us before we even got the chance to get to know him. It was then that I knew what I needed to do. Most celebrations are ones that bring people together to honor those who have important events happening in their lives. In a way, this was no different. We all came together as a family to celebrate or honor the power this small little child had over us. A cake.. just like any other celebration was what would bring us together to think about this little baby who is now in heaven. It brought a sense of peace and comfort to the guests and a feeling that all is well.
It's cakes like this- that have so much emotion attached to them-- this is why I love what I do. I love to not only put my heart into my work, but the heart of my clients. If I can accomplish this, then I've done my job and I can be proud of what I do.

No comments:

Welcome to Sugar Kisses Cakes Blog! Where you can see everything I'm working on and doing on a daily basis! Hope you enjoy the site.. and remember.... 
I LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK!!! 
 So feel free to comment anytime!!